The Senior Network Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of network appliances, systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that network hardware, network security component, system hardware, operating systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values and procedures. This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the initiation and planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
- Configure and install various network devices and services from scratch (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS, CoS)
- Ability to diagnose complex network issues and have excellent troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN technologies such as EPL/E-LAN/MPLS/BGP
- Ability to configure VLAN’s and routing
- Ability to configure and manage iSCSI and Storage Area Networks (SAN) along with switch configuration and optimization
- Manage VMWare virtual networking (vSwitches/dvSwitches/VMKernel)
- Perform network maintenance and system upgrades including firmware updates, service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations
- Monitor network performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- Monitor system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning
- Provide Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- Select and implement security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the company’s security team
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
Engineering and Provisioning
- Install new / rebuild existing virtual servers in VMWare vSphere 6 and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Provision virtual networking as required
- Provision SAN storage as required
- Install and configure systems such as supports infrastructure.
- Maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Maintain system standards.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Support remote desktop and VDI environment solutions
- Storage and iSCSI
Provision LUNS and Volumes within storage devices and manage storage provisioning
- Manage connectivity and network devices
- Configure iSCSI devices and network
- Dell Compellent Experience a plus
- Apply patches and FW upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports GIS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
Perform other duties are assigned by management
Core Technical Criteria
- 6+ years of Network Administration and hands on experience
- Network certifications a plus (CCNA/CCNP/Network +)
- VMWare Certifications a plus
- VMWare vSphere 5.5, 6.0 management and configuration
- Storage Area Networks (SAN) Compellent, Equallogic
- Network Configuration (TCP/IP, LAN, WAN)
- IP Subnetting experience
- Network management products (Solarwinds, Manage Engine) VOIP
- Firewall concepts, NAT/PAT/VPN (Sonicwall)
- Switch and router configuration (Force10, Dell N Series, Cisco)
- VLAN management/ACL management
- VDI and Remote Desktop technologies
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot complex problems
- Load Balancer configuration and management
- Datacenter support